When your baby starts to get older, you will probably be getting ready to purchase a baby pillow. Most adults sleep with a pillow so it makes perfect sense for you to let your baby get used to one as well.
The trouble is that most pillows are generally too big for a baby and might be a cause of discomfort for them. Most babies won’t be able to communicate with you about this. It’s not like they can talk to you about it over breakfast. Therefore as parents we have to try and make educated guesses a lot of the time.
A pillow suitable for your child is actually a good idea. It can help support the neck while they sleep. Remember that a baby’s body is still developing so any help you can offer can only be a good thing.
What sort of baby pillow should you consider?
• Well you have your regular pillows, just in a smaller size. The kind you or I would use. • Then there are baby sleep positioner pillows that help keep the child’s head safe by having pillow cushions positioned either side of the head. These are also great to stop them rolling over and suffocating.
• There are more specific pillows such as for babies with flat head syndrome. These are general curved and provide support almost all of the way round the pillow.
• In addition to this, there are also a number of nursing pillows. A nursing baby pillow is like a big plush cushion with a harness sewn in that the baby sits in. These help free up your arms while nursing.
• There are inserts for car seats that allow for sleeping when travelling and ensuring your baby gets a good sleep with it’s head falling too far on any one side.
• You can also buy wedge shaped pillows suitable for cribs. These simply sit beneath the crib sheets and aid with relieving congestion so that both baby and you get a good night sleep!
• You can also find cuddly pet-design pillows that kids love to cuddle up to. A baby pillow like this is a great idea as it encourages them to start using it. Who wouldn’t want to cuddle up to one?
You can start to look at the different kinds of baby pillow and choose one suitable for your child. They do range in price but this depends on the brand and materials used so you might want to shop around before you commit! If you want a good sleep then why not invest? Your baby will thank you for it.